What makes an artist an artist? Well, there probably isn't any easy answer
to that question. However, there are some personality characteristics that many
artists seem to have in common. First of all, artists come from all walks 凤凰彩票网（fh643.com） of
life. They may have been born rich or poor, but they are all dedicated to
realizing what only they can see in their minds' eyes. Another common trait of
artists is that they do things according to their own own lights. In fact for
many of them, creating art is do or die. Of course, that also means that they
are often perfectionists. They'll lose themselves in a new creation and you
might not see them for the next few weeks. Often, you might drop by to check up
on how they are doing and you'll discover that their apartment is anything but
spick-and-span. It's no wonder because they've sunk their teeth into their
latest work and completely lost all track of time.
Housework is certainly the last thing on their mind!
Of course, this lifestyle often means that they can barely make ends meet.
Jobs are few and far between and money comes in dribs and dabs. This is true
even for up-and-coming superstars whose reputation is growing by leaps and
bounds. Finally, artists see art as an end in itself.
It's not about the money to them. They're different from normal people who
mind their p's and q's. Artists challenge us with their vision. They'd never
slap something together that just looks pretty.
Idiom and Expression Definitions
1.do something according to your own lights=do something your own way,
follow your own inspiration rather than that of others
2.all walks of life=from many different backgrounds, classes, etc.
3.an end in itself=something done only for the pleasure of doing it
4.break new ground=create something new, innovate
5.do or die=(used as an adjective) absolutely necessary
6.dribs and dabs=little by little, not happening continuously
7.in your mind's eye=in your imagination
8.by leaps and bounds=grow or improve very quickly
9.lose yourself in something=become so involved that you don't notice
10.make ends meet=earn enough money to live on
11.mind your p's and q's=be normal, not interfere with other people
12.sink your teeth into something=concentrate on doing a project
seriously for a long time
13.slap something together=create something without much care to
15.up-and-coming=soon to be famous, young talent becoming successful
1. I'm afraid I can't follow your suggestion. I prefer to paint
2. Can you see that picture __________?
3. Our son is very good at the piano. In fact, he's improving
4. Unfortunately, money is very tight at the moment. I don't have a steady
job so the money is coming in __________.
5. I'd love to _________ my __________ a new project.
6. It's important that you house is _________ if you want to sell it.
7. Peter is an _________ musician. He'll soon be famous.
8. I think this work of art ________. It's completely different from
9. Please be quiet and __________. I don't want to be bothered.
10. Students attending the academy come from 凤凰彩票欢迎你（fh643.com） __________. You'll find people
from all over the world with different backgrounds.
1. according to my own lights
2. in your mind's eye
3. by leaps and bounds
4. dribs and dabs
5. sink my teeth into
8. breaks new ground
9. mind your p's and q's
10. all walks of life